Soon after the railroad came to McAfee in 1872, this old tavern was built by William Simpson, also known as Squire Bill. The contractor for the Hotel was the grandfather of Dorsey Edsall. William Simpson was probably McAfee's most important person in the late 19th century. Upon Simpson's death in 1890, the Tavern-Hotel was operated by his son, County Clerk Ora C. Simpson. Ora sold the Hotel in March of 1914 to Leon C. Ruban, a horse racing fancier who also ran a bottling works in McAfee. Prohibition came in 1920, and Ruban sold the Hotel to McAfee contractor, Samuel B. Martin, in 1925.
John and Laura Hovencamp bought the hotel in March of 1935. Soon after, the old Hotel met a quasi-doom. It was badly damaged and gutted by a fire that had started in an old rear ice house. The rebuilt structure scarcely resembled the old one. John and Laura sold the Tavern in 1955.
In August of 1995, a major electrical fire destroyed the entire kitchen and the Package Goods store, and there was heavy smoke damage to the Tap and Dining rooms. The all-wood building was restored within six months, and it reopened its doors on Saint Patrick's Day in 1996.
In 2002, the 130th anniversary of the old Hotel's existence, a new extension to the building was added to acoomodate the growing population of McAfee. This hostelry, the George Inn, is more popular today than ever, still serving good fare to patrons after 149 years of operation.